Saturday, March 10, 2007

DAD THAT FOUR YEAR OLD BOY SWEARS

At dinner tonight my daughter was talking about our neighbor's four year old and how he is always swearing. She also added that the parents swear a lot too. Over the past few months the boy's mom has started to put soap in his mouth when ever he says a bad word. I've been thinking of her chasing the boy throughout the house screaming to him, " get the XXX over here."

I was speaking at an event and we were sharing how children learn from adults. As teachers, parents or care takers we must always watch are own actions what we do and what we say.
We could be bullying a child or even another adult in front of our children and not even know it.

If we want to teach our children to be nice we must take responsibility for our own actions.
If we think we did or said something wrong we should admit it to our children. They will not only learn that even adults make mistakes they will also learn right from wrong.

Many times I have apologized to my children when I have demonstrated poor behavior and I believe it has not only strengthened our relationship but also taught them how to be good, respectable citizens.

Copyright Richard Paul 2007
If you have a comment or suggestion email richard@richardpaul.com

No comments: