Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Cyber Bullying Information

Richard,
While you were in the kids' tent at Muskegon Summer Celebration, we talked a bit about software to monitor and control kids' Internet access. I've been trying to find a few good suggestions for you, but the list is long. I've been trying to narrow down the list of potential software for monitoring kids online - MAN is there a lot of it out there these days! So far, it's looking like the reviews I've found are generally liking either WebWatcher or NetNanny (as far as Windows machines go) - but admittedly I've not had a chance to really read all of the reviews I've found in various searches.

It appears that the main thing to consider is what kinds of features you want:
Some have remote monitoring, some send reports via email, some you have to physically access the machine being monitored to get the info. Some have to be configured on the machine being monitored, some can be configured remotely. Some offer an administrator a chance to override a block temporarily, some that's apparently a chore. The list of "this will", "this won't", "this one maybe...." goes on for every feature you can think of.

Prices vary from free to just over $100, and some of them require online service plans that I've seen priced at up to $150.00 per year. (EEK!)

I'll keep trying to sort out the list, but if you can send me a quick note with the features you consider primary, I can focus my search on more appropriate targets. :-)
Chat with you later!
=====================================
Ken Thies Owner/Engineer
KaT's Corner Recording

No comments: